Listen to KNVBC Revival Radio Now!

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Words

Sticks and stones may break the bones, but words pierce the heart.
Today, I've come to realize how powerful words can be. How a simple phrase can change a perspective. How words can cause people to draw closer together, or be torn apart. How one word may be all a person needs to hear to make them smile, or ruin their day.
I remember, before God got a hold of me, I had a horrible mouth. Besides having foul language, I would just spew things out of my mouth without considering how my words affected others. I was so filled pride that even when I knew that my words hurt others, I would justify it in my own mind so I wouldn't have to feel guilty.
Praise God, He has changed alot of things in my heart. Before, I wanted to hurt people, I wanted to get a laugh at someone else's expense. I don't want that anymore. I want every word that comes out of my mouth to be pleasing to God. I want to comfort people with my words. I want to build up others with my words. I want my words to be a blessing. I don't ever want to hurt someone with my words. But it has happened. Someone whom I care for deeply has been hurt by something I said. I didn't think much of it when I said it, and haven't given it a second thought since. Little did I know, this person has been hurting and struggling with this and it was me who caused her to feel this way. She has graciously forgiven me, but I know that the feelings she's had will not go away so easily.
I can't help but look back and wonder how many others have been hurt by my carelessness.
This is my prayer: "Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips." Ps 141:3
I may not be able to go back and ask forgiveness to all those I've hurt, but with God's grace and direction I can be more careful with my words.

1 comment:

  1. I wish it weren't so easy to get carried away and let our thoughts slip through our lips unchallenged. It's so true that the tongue is a hard thing to manage, but with God's help we can always improve. Have a sparkling day!

    ReplyDelete